Fall is here and we’ve been digging out coats and jackets.
Last year, when I visited a Montessori classroom, I saw the teacher teach the children put their coat on this way. Out of ignorance, I thought it was a little dumb. This year, I realize it is GENIUS. Whoever came up with this method really understands the capacity of a toddler. It is impossible for them to put on their coat one arm at a time, like adults, simply because their arms are too short. But with this method, my kids were able to put on their jackets without help after just a few tries. Watch this:
A few keys:
- In order to do this, the jacket has to be placed on a surface.
- The inside of the jacket should face up. Position the jacket upside down. Tell your toddler to put the tag next to their stomach.
- Teach them to put both arms through the hole
- Help them throw it over their head.
- It works and they will eventually learn to do it on their own.
Other Posts You May Enjoy